Free-e-day: Spread the word
With 3 weeks to go until Free-e-day and some amazing cretive people on board, it’s time to start letting people know what’s happening in a big way. The final brochure before the programme itself will be out on Monday, with a host of new contributors, so then would be a fantastic time to start spreading the word.
1. Get in touch with your local press. You can download a simple press release here. Feel free to add a description of what you’re doing to make it a story of local interest, and to change my e-mail address for yours.
2. Get blogging. Again, feel free to base what you say on the press release, or any of the information on this site. The two things I should emphasise because I know they are sometimes brought up: whilst many of the people contributing give their work away for free all the time, and believe this is a great thing to do, as an event we have no opinion on the matter one way or another. All we do is appreciate people’s generosity on this one day. And yes, there are sites on the web where you will find more free downloads than here. but this was never intended to be a directory. The people who are here are here because they actively support the event. We believe that makes it a more vibrant, more exciting event – and whilst both have their place, we’d rather have a carnival than a directory any day. If you DO blog, please post a link in the comments here, and e-mail me: email@example.com I’ll make sure I mention your blog as far and wide as I can.
3. Tweet us. If you’re on twitter and want to tell people about the event, use the #freeeday hashtag so people can follow the event (and so I can find you, retweet you, and say thanks). This hashtag will also be used for tweetchats around the event on the day, so if you would like to chat about any of the topics in our webchats on twitter, if you use the hashtag I’ll be able to add you to my #freeeday twitterlist, where you’ll also be able to find each other.
4. Bookmark us. If you use stumbleupon, Digg or any social bookmarking tools, don’t forget to bookmark and recommend our webchats and our programmes.
5. Bookbuzzr – the bookbuzzr is an amazing widget. It is fully embeddable in your blogs, Facebook, e-mail signature, and other social media. Just click on it and click share to begin. People will be able to read the whole thing without leaving your site, and to share it themselves.
6. Download the logo from this site and put it on your homepage with a link here.
7. Encourage people to join the Facebook Group and get to know each other there.
8. It goes without saying if you want me to do anything on your blog or podacst, or anything like that, I will clone myself and get one of our talentyed SF writers like MCM to invent me a time-stretching machine to enable me to do so!
9. ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THINK OF
AND MOST OF ALL, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR ENERGY, YOUR ENTHUSIASM, AND YOUR CREATIVE BRILLIANCE!